DIRECTOR OF EXHIBITIONS AND MARKETING
Piedmont Arts, a not-for-profit art center in Virginia, seeks an experienced and motivated Director of Exhibitions and Marketing. Working with the Executive Director and the staff, he/she will be responsible for planning and implementing Piedmont Arts' exhibitions and marketing programs.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated record of achievement in exhibition planning and display, the ability to develop and work within budgets, work as a team player as part of a dedicated staff, have excellent communication and organizational abilities, and have excellent computer and media skills. Piedmont Arts is a dynamic organization accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and is a Museum Partner of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.
Minimum: Bachelor's degree, preferably in art history, arts administration, studio art or related field. Salary competitive.
Please send resume, cover letter, exhibition and/or website samples to:
Position review opens immediately and is open until filled.
DIRECTOR OF EXHIBITIONS AND MARKETING
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
Responsible for curatorial duties; planning and implementation of marketing and communications efforts; graphic design.
Direct, oversee and coordinate visual arts programming and assist with other programming offered by Piedmont Arts.
Oversee duties of Programs and PR Coordinator.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare and maintain the marketing budget on an annual basis.
- Develop a marketing plan on an annual basis, to include an outline of the museum's situation analysis; target markets; objectives; strategies.
- Work with the Executive Director, Program Staff to create a promotion schedule for exhibitions; performing arts; community/educational programming; special events.
- Work with Programs and PR Coordinator to coordinate public relations efforts in support of all Piedmont Arts programs.
- Work with Programs and PR Coordinator to develop and execute a media relations program, including a press release schedule and monthly calendar listings.
- Maintain the Piedmont Arts website by regularly updating events, images and links to appropriate sites.
- Create and send weekly e-newsletter.
- Maintain Piedmont Arts' social media presence by regularly posting information and images and by sharing links from appropriate outside sources and Community Partners; Create and share Facebook events for all Piedmont Arts events.
- Oversee Programs and PR Coordinator to maintain Piedmont Arts' presence on VisitMartinsville.com and Virginia.org by creating an event listing for each Piedmont Arts event, including images and all pertinent information.
- Serve as Piedmont Arts brand manager; Oversee branding guidelines and ensure the brand is clearly visible in all printed materials and communication, as well as inside and outside the museum.
- Assist the Manager of Guest Services in ensuring a positive museum experience of guests.
- Design and arrange production of all museum print materials for exhibits, performing arts, special events, general museum use, etc.
- Work with the Executive Director on membership and fundraising marketing.
- Develop and maintain exhibit schedules, preferably one year or more in advance.
- Review and facilitate all exhibit-related contracts.
- Manage the logistics and installation of exhibits.
- Oversees the development and design of exhibits including paint schemes, interpreting artwork for labels and publications, and signage.
- Work with Education Coordinator to research and plan tours; train and assign volunteer tour leaders when appropriate.
- Develop and design exhibition titles, object labels, text panels and gallery guides.
- Negotiate all exhibition contracts with artists and transit providers.
- Work with the Executive Director to develop a budget for exhibitions for the fiscal year.
- Keep record of climate in galleries.
- Work with Executive Director to curate and maintain the Gift Shop.
- Work with Executive Director to oversee Piedmont Arts' public art program.
- Assist in the management of off-site visual arts programming, artwork and artists involved in the Gravely-Lester Art Garden.
- Help plan and implement events, programs and fundraisers including, Savory September, Garden Parties, and Annual Fall Festival.
- Collaborate cross-departmentally to advance the multi-disciplinary mission of the organization, by working with all program areas to coordinate programming whenever feasible. These include, but are not limited to, performances, classes, workshops, lectures, films and special events.
- Serve on local, regional and state committees as appropriate to represent Piedmont Arts and to promote the arts within the community.
- Understand that all decisions with regards to programming are subject to the approval of the Executive Director as an agent for the Board of Directors.
- Assist in the promotion of Piedmont Arts as an intrinsic part of the Martinsville/Henry County community, serving at all times as a supporter of Piedmont Arts and an advocate of the arts.
- Participate in Piedmont Arts sponsored events and activities as often as possible, demonstrating enthusiasm for all Piedmont Arts activities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Minimum of a Bachelors degree in a fine arts discipline or museum management
- Experience in booking exhibits and related programs for non-profit organizations
- Excellent working knowledge of professional museum practices and familiarity with all aspects of exhibition planning and development
- Demonstrated computer, media and internet skills
- Demonstrated fundraising skills
- Demonstrate color, design and aesthetic skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to read financial information and understand the budgeting process
- Experience in managing social media
- Experience in writing press releases
- Graphic Design Skills
- Website management skills
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with all members of the public, balance competing demands, and make decisions under deadline pressure
Excellent organizational skills, being able to handle several different schedules and plans, while avoiding conflicts in timing as much as possible
- Office skills required to handle responsibilities in a timely manner
- Physical requirements may include the ability to climb up and down stairs and ladders; to bend, stoop, and lift to move and retrieve materials and art objects; to pull/push, lift and carry up to 50 lbs, and to reach both above and below shoulder height
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure