May 2, 2019
Expressions Artwork Entry: LA + Students Only
4:00PM - 6:00PM at Piedmont Arts
To enter work, download and complete the Expressions 2019 Entry Form. Entry forms are also available at Piedmont Arts.
WHO MAY ENTER
Residents of Martinsville, Virginia and/or residents of all counties and cities within a 100-mile radius of Martinsville, including high school students (grades 9 – 12).
215 Starling Avenue, Martinsville, VA
Jeff Liverman | Executive Director | Floyd Center for the Arts
Artists may enter a maximum of TWO PIECES. All entries must have an identification label (provided with Entry Form) attached to the back. Early/late entries will not be accepted.
Opening Reception + Awards Ceremony
Friday, May 17, 2019 • 6 – 8 pm • Piedmont Arts
May 18 – July 19, 2019
Artwork Pick Up
Saturday, July 20, 2019 • 10 am – 2 pm • Piedmont Arts
Artists are responsible for pickup of their work on designated date. All work must remain for the duration of exhibit and must be picked up at the designated time. Piedmont Arts will not assume responsibility for artwork that is left in the gallery after 2 pm on designated pickup date. Any artwork (including that which has been purchased) will be resold, donated or otherwise removed from the premises if still unclaimed after 30 days.
Cash prizes will be awarded for first, second and third place in all categories, as well as People’s Choice, Lynwood Artists Award and Best in Show. All entries designated for sale are also eligible for purchase awards. Winners of the Lynwood Artists Award and Best in Show may be eligible for additional benefits. See Entry Fees for details. People’s Choice Award will be announced at close of exhibit.
A non-refundable fee for a maximum of TWO PIECES per artist is due at registration. Cash, check or credit card accepted. Please make checks payable to Piedmont Arts. Expressions is presented by Piedmont Arts and Lynwood Artists. Members of these organizations receive discounted entry fees:
- $15 Student
- $15 Member of BOTH Organizations (Lynwood Artists and Piedmont Arts)
- $25 Member of ONE Organization (Lynwood Artists or Piedmont Arts)
- $45 Non-member
Entrants may join Piedmont Arts and/or Lynwood Artists at registration. All memberships must be valid as the date of entry to be eligible for benefits. Lynwood Artists membership is required to be eligible for Lynwood Artists Award and therefore eligible for a solo show in the Lynwood Artists Gallery. Any Piedmont Arts member winning Best in Show becomes eligible for a solo show in the Box Mezzanine Gallery.
All submissions are subject to final category assignment based on the decision of the Expressions Receiving Committee.
- Drawing: Pastels, pen and ink, pencils, charcoal, other drawing-based work that is wall-installed.
- 3D: Glass, ceramics, fiber, jewelry, wood and all sculpture, freestanding or wall-installed.
- Oil and Acrylic: Paintings executed with oil or acrylic paint.
- Watercolor: Paintings executed with watercolor or gouache.
- Mixed Media: Two-dimensional work that combines two or more art media and each media is evident; graphic design.
- Photography: B/W, color and images captured by photographic process. May be digitally altered for optimization of image, but not digitally manipulated to substantially alter the overall image.
- High School Student: Any work by students grades 9 – 12.
Artists may enter a maximum of TWO PIECES. All submissions must be original and completed within the last two years. Only work that has never been submitted to a previous Expressions will be accepted.
- 2D work: Must be dry, secure in the frame, wired and ready to hang (no sawtooth hangers) and within the size limit of 40” x 40”, including frame.
- 3D work: Must be dry, either freestanding or include its own stand or display apparatus and within the size limit of 55” in width, including any display apparatus. 3D works over 6 ft. in height must be pre-approved. Contact Piedmont Arts at 276.632.3221 prior to entry date for approval.
Piedmont Arts and Lynwood Artists reserve the right to exclude work deemed inappropriate. In addition the following will NOT BE ACCEPTED: work created from a kit; work that has been entered in a previous Expressions; work that requires any complex or extraordinary installation.
Piedmont Arts will retain a 30% commission on all works sold except those selected for Purchase Awards. Works that are not for sale MUST be clearly marked NFS with an insurance value stated. Purchased works must remain on display until the end of the exhibit.
Although every care will be taken, Piedmont Arts cannot assume liability for damaged work. Entry submission constitutes agreement to comply with all conditions set forth in this prospectus.