January 23 – February 19, 2021
Sponsored by Carter Bank & Trust
- 1st Prize: $100
- 2nd Prize: $50
- 3rd Prize: $25
All winning pieces will be printed, framed, and displayed in Piedmont Arts Foster Gallery.
Must be a Martinsville City or Henry County Resident in Grades 6 – 12 to enter.
Only one entry per person will be judged.
Submissions are due by 5 pm on February 19, 2021.
Entries will be judged by members of Piedmont Arts and Carter Bank & Trust Staff.
Winners will be notified by phone and announced at the Closing Reception for Ansel Adams: Compositions in Nature on loan from the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts on February 26, 2021.
Contest Rules + Guidelines:
- Photographs should be black and white.
- Photographs should look like photographs and should not be distorted through effects to look like paintings or drawings.
- Pay attention to clarity. Ansel Adams rejected soft, ethereal photography. All his images have crisp, clear details in the foreground and background.
- Pay attention to perspective. Ansel Adams kept the horizon line high in his photographs to diminish the sky and emphasize the epic scale of the landscape.
- Evoke emotion. Ansel Adams wanted his photographs to capture the way a scene felt, not the way it looked.